Background

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Issues with Internet Coupons at HEB


Okay, I know that some of you have had issues with HEB accepting/not accepting internet coupons...I've had issues as well. I decided to go up to the store today and try to get some answers from the managers. I want to make things easier on all of us coupon shoppers!! I printed off HEB's coupon policy, packed up my coupons, and my 3 year old son and headed over to HEB. I talked with four different people at HEB, and left with a little more knowledge about how HEB's coupon policy works (maybe?)

-HEB's coupon policy says that they will accept internet coupons with a barcode...but the people I talked to said they will not accept them if the coupons don't scan...they will NOT manually enter them. My next question for them was if there was a way we could find out if our internet coupons will scan BEFORE going through the checkout line. They said there was no real way to know...but said that if the store was not busy that we could take internet coupons up to the customer service desk and they would try to scan them before we do our shopping. It sounded like they've had issues with coupon fraud, so they seemed a bit hesitant about internet coupons.

I didn't really get the answer that I was hoping for. It seems like internet coupons are going to be hit or miss at HEB. I told them that the same coupons that weren't scanning at their store were scanning and being accepted at Target, Wal-Mart, Albertsons, etc. The only thing they could tell me was there was something in their computer systems that were not recognizing the coupons as valid.

I was told that HEB has printable coupons on their website, and that the stores SHOULD accept all coupon printed directly from there. Go here to view these coupons.

I spent about 20 minutes talking to them and trying to get a better understanding of what coupons they will accept. I have to admit that I left without gaining any new knowledge...what it boils down to is that HEB WILL accept internet coupons as long as they scan, and there is no way to know if they will scan or not until the cashier tries them.

I'm a little frustrated by the whole scenario, but you sometimes run into these issues when shopping with coupons.

Oh, after talking to the people at HEB, I went through the store to try to pick up a few things...I got up to checkout and the cashier told me that I wasn't allowed to use internet coupons AT ALL!! I politely told her that I had just spent 20 minutes talking to managers about this issue, and she said that she wouldn't scan them. I spotted one of the men that I had talked to and motioned for him to come over. He told her to scan them (and thankfully they all went through). All I can say is that it was just a bit frustrating trying to find answers, and leaving not knowing any more than when I went in.

Good news though...the $0.60 off Dr. Pepper coupons do work (and you get free Manwich Sloppy Joe mix when you buy a Dr. Pepper)
-the coupon for $1.00 off Oscar Mayer lunch meat also works!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to get more info for us. I thought I had a really good deal on cereal last week but forgot that some of the yellow HEB in-store coupons are manufacture coupons. The cashier told me that even if they are HEB coupons they are not supposed to stack them with manufacture coupons??? It is amazing how easy Albertson's is in comparison...which I never would have thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The majority of HEB in store coupons are manufacturer's coupons. If you look at the yellow store coupons, there should be a small box on the bottom...if this box has an M in it, that means that it is a manufacturer's coupon and cannot be combined with another coupon. If it has an S in it, that stands for HEB issued Store coupon...and CAN be combined with a manufacturer's coupon. If it has a B in it, that stands for HEB Issued Big Savings Coupon...and CAN be combined with a manufacturer's coupon. That being said, every HEB coupon I have ever seen has had an M in it except for one. I asked the managers that I talked to about that, and he said that they don't issue very many "S" coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lucrecia. I wonder if it would help if we spoke to someone higher up and outside of town? I am getting more frustrated with them each time I shop:( It used to be my favorite place to grocery shop. I walked out only saving $3 yesterday and was disappointed to say the least. Thanks again, and I got my goodies in the mail today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittney, I just sent off an email to HEB asking them the same questions that I asked at our local HEB. Now, just need to wait and see if they respond. :) HEB used to be where I did the majority of my grocery shopping, but since I've started getting more serious about shopping with coupons I shop the most at Albertsons. They will still have good deals every now and then, but would be so much better if they were more coupon friendly!!

    ReplyDelete