Background

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stockpiling vs. Hoarding

Have you ever seen the shows on television about hoarders? People are basically trapped in their houses with mounds and mounds of stuff packed all around them. It makes me feel claustrophobic just thinking about it! If you've watched any of these shows, you'll find that a lot of the people say they buy things if they find a good sale...whether they need the product or not, just because they think that at one point in the future they might be able to use it. So my question is, what is the difference between stockpiling and hoarding?

In order to really start saving money and seeing a difference in your grocery bill, you must start stockpiling items when they are at rock bottom prices. If you don't do this, you might get a GREAT deal on a specific item, but if you only buy one, you'll be right back to paying full price on it when you run out. Stockpiling is the key to reducing your grocery bill. Every person's stockpile will be different...a family of 3 won't need the same amount as a family of 6. You'll need to evaluate your family's needs to find what an appropriate stockpile should be. Some people might build a stockpile of 4 to 6 weeks worth of pantry staples; while another family might try to get a stockpile that will last for 6 months. It all depends on your family's needs, budget, and storage space.

Like I've said, stockpiling is the key to reducing your grocery budget, but when does it step over the line into hoarding? I think it is when you are so focused on accumulating more stuff just because you can get a good deal and not because you will actually use the items.

As a coupon shopper, you can get so many items for FREE...toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, etc. I was looking through my stockpile last month and I realized that I had 40+ bottles of Men's Body Wash in my closet. Does my family really need that much? I received all of them for free, so how could I pass them up, right? I realized how ridiculous it was...I mean there are so many people in the world who go without and here I was with over 40 bottles of body wash. I put together several bags of toiletries to give away to friends and family. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying stuff up when you find a good sale, but what are you doing with what you buy? Are you using it to help your family and other families in need, or are you holding on to it because it gives you a sense of security or accomplishment?

Stockpiling is GREAT, but we need to always be aware of our focus. It's not the stuff that we should focus on, but what we do with the stuff. Stockpile for your family and when you have excess, don't hold onto it...GIVE it away!! You'll be able to help your own family and BLESS others as well. There will always be more sales and more opportunities to build your stockpile. Don't lose focus of what is truly important!!

No comments:

Post a Comment