Background

Friday, March 26, 2010

Ever since my husband and I got married we've talked about the idea of donating to people in need. Every Christmas we've chosen a different project to do as a family to help others out. We started this when his parents asked for that as a Christmas present. They said that they had more than enough, and would like each of their children and their families to do a project for others and to write them a letter about the project for them to read on Christmas morning. What an awesome idea, huh? Anyway, we wanted to donate more, but with a family of five and on one income we seriously had no extra money coming in. I started couponing in December, and since then I've been able to get a lot of items at a fraction of the cost. Our pantry is more full than it has ever been; we have about a 6 month supply of toiletries...I realized that I could go shopping in my own pantry and come up with several bags of groceries to donate to a needy family.



This is probably close to $100 worth of items that I was able to get for a fraction of the cost. I am saying this, not to say "See what I did!" but for all of you to be able to say "I can do that too!!" If this is what one family can do on a very limited budget, can you imagine what could be done if more families would be able/willing to do this?

Using coupons and learning how to shop smart, has truly made a difference in our family budget, but it is my goal for it to make a difference in others' lives as well. Shopping sales and being able to stretch your family's budget is a blessing, but think of how much more of a blessing it will be (for you and the person you donate to) when you give items to a family/organization that is in need!

"...Blessed is he who is kind to the needy." Proverbs 14:21b

"...whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14: 31b

No comments:

Post a Comment