Background

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Walgreens...is it really worth it?

I cannot count the number of times that people have told me that shopping at stores like Walgreens and CVS just isn't worth it. The main thing people say to me is that prices are SO much higher than at other stores. I have to admit, that for regular, nonsale items that this is true, but once you learn how to match the ads with coupons, and learn how to roll your register rewards and extra care bucks, you will be AMAZED at how much money you can save.

This morning I realized that we were completely out of jelly. I looked all over for some good coupons, and came up with nothing that would make for a GREAT deal. I decided to head over to Walgreens to pick up some jelly. The challenge I set for myself was to see just how much I could get at Walgreens for what one bottle of jelly would cost at Wal-Mart.

I bought everything pictured below, and spent...

$1.19!! (Jelly typically runs between $1.50 and $2.00 at Wal-Mart).

I bought:
-2 packages of Stayfree maxi pads
-2 bags of Plackers dental flossers (90 ct.)
-4 Reach toothbrushes
-1 roll of Scotch packaging tape
-2 bottles of Smuckers jelly
-1 can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup
-1 100 Grand candy bar
-3 rolls of Sweet Tarts (only 2 made it into the picture :)

The keys to shopping at Walgreens are:

1. ALWAYS check the ads
2. Match up sale prices with coupons
3. REGISTER REWARD DEALS!! REGISTER REWARD DEALS! REGISTER REWARD DEALS! (Can you tell that this is a big one...register rewards are basically like store cash, you can use these register rewards to purchase other things in the store).
4. Break your shopping trip up into different transactions...do a deal that will generate a register reward, then use this register reward to lower the cost of other things you need to buy.
5. Start small...stores like Walgreens and CVS won't make much sense to you until you go in and try some deals for yourself. If you are just starting out, go in with the thought that you are going to do just 2 transactions...the first transaction will be something that will generate a register reward, and the second transaction will be using this register reward to buy items that you might need (or better yet, items that will generate even more register rewards!!)

2 comments:

  1. You said it! I got so tickled at my cashier this last week ... young guy ... after I checked out, he said, "You really did good with those coupons!" Gave me a nod of approval. I did another transaction, and he said, "I'm just sitting back and watching ... you did it again!" Cutest young man ... and seeing just how much you can buy for so little. I told him "thank you" because usually the women cashiers look at you in a mad way like "you shouldn't be saving so much money." They want to act like your coupons aren't valid, etc. Hee, hee! Watch and learn, girls ... watch and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelli and Lucrecia, I still have not set foot in Walgreen's. What is wrong with me? I am so intimidated by it, because I am not as familiar as I am with CVS:) So silly, I know. I will make it a goal to get in there this week and save some money. Thanks girls, I am watching and learning.

    ReplyDelete