Background

Friday, January 28, 2011

HEB Trip (January 28)

I have to say that I don't do a ton of shopping at HEB. In my opinion it is hard to see a really big savings there. Yes, they have yellow in store coupons and Buy X get Y free, but it seems like when I shop there I still spend more than I want to.

That being said, I was excited about the Meal Deal that they are having this week. (Buy 2 lbs. of ground beef get five ingredients for making tacos FREE). I was down to my last 2 lbs. of ground beef, so I decided to run into HEB.

I bought everything pictured below, and spent...



$54.62 and saved $61.30...Yes, I know I went over my grocery budget. I didn't do a lot of shopping at the beginning of the month, so I had extra left over from those weeks. Also, I really needed to stock up on some quick fix meals to have on hand in our freezer.

6 Tyson Anytizers $6.98 each
-used 6 coupons for $1.00 off Tyson Anytizers (found in 11/7 and 1/23 SmartSource inserts)
Final Price: $35.88

6 Red Baron Singles (2 ct.) $2.96 each
-used 6 HEB store coupons for FREE Red Baron Singles wyb Tyson Anytizers
Final Price: FREE (plus $0.24 overage...each of the HEB coupons automatically took off $3.00 for the Red Baron products)

6 Ken's Salad Dressing $1.29 each
-used 6 HEB store coupons for FREE Ken's Salad Dressing wyb Tyson Anytizers
Final Price: FREE

6 lbs. of Ground Sirloin $3.18/lb.
Final Price: $19.08

3 Taco Bell Restaurant Sauce $0.99 each
-used 3 HEB store coupons for FREE Taco Bell Sauce wyb 2 lbs. of Ground Beef
Final Price: FREE

3 HEB Taco Seasoning Mix $0.33 each
-used 3 HEB store coupons for FREE Taco Mix wyb 2 lbs. of Ground Beef
Final Price: FREE

3 HEB Sour Cream $0.77 each
-used 3 HEB store coupons for FREE Sour Cream wyb 2 lbs. of Ground Beef
Final Price: FREE

3 HEB Fancy Shredded Cheese $1.95 each
-used 3 HEB store coupons for FREE Shredded Cheese wyb 2 lbs. of Ground Beef
Final Price: FREE

3 HEB Taco Shells $0.96 each
-used 3 HEB store coupons for FREE HEB Taco Shells wyb 2 lbs. of Ground Beef
Final Price: FREE

4 Vicks Cough Drops $0.99 each
-used 4 coupons for $1.00 of Vicks Product (found in 12/26 Proctor and Gamble insert)
Final Price: FREE (plus $0.04 overage)

2 Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk (singles) $1.00 each
-used 2 coupons for $1.00 off Horizon Product
Final Price: FREE

2 Challenge Tuscan Butter $1.97 each
-used 2 coupons for $2.00 off Challenge Butter (found here)
Final Price: FREE (plus $0.06 overage)

Final Price for this trip: $54.62

I know it is a bit high, but I really wanted to get some meals that I can whip up in just a few minutes before/after church and also for those nights when I don't feel like cooking. I should be able to get at least 15 meals out of the Anytizers/ Ground Sirloin/pizzas...adding a few side dishes/vegetables that I already have in our pantry/freezer...less than $4.00 a meal for a family of 5...or we could spend the same amount of money taking our family out to eat 2 (maybe 3) times. I'll go over our grocery budget a little bit this week to save a lot of money later!

Have you been stocking up on any items lately?

1 comment:

  1. This week at my HEB, they had an unadvertised yellow coupon deal that was really good. Buy one bag of "fancy" shredded HEB brand cheese (they were only advertising the parmesan, romano or asiago on this one), but then you get BOTH 1 jar Barilla pasta sauce and 1 package Barilla blue box pasta (any type...even lasagne worked) FREE. You can't beat that...free Barilla was great!! It worked out well because the week before I did their HEB meatball deal with free ricotta & Ragu. We've got the makings for practically any pasta dish for the next couple of months!!

    ReplyDelete