Background

Friday, September 23, 2011

Chicken Taco Soup Recipe

I had a request to post the recipe for Chicken Taco Soup. I've had this recipe for a LONG time, and have no idea where I got it. My family really likes it, so it is a go to soup in the fall/winter months.

Chicken Taco Soup:

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 can pinto beans (15 oz)
1 can black/red beans (15 oz)
1 can whole kernel corn (15 oz) (drained)
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 cup apple juice (You can substitute water if you don't have apple juice)
2 cans Ro-tel diced tomatoes with chilies (10 oz) (My kids aren't fans of spicy foods, so I usually substitute 2 cans of diced tomatoes)
1 package taco seasoning
2 to 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)
Lettuce (optional)
Tomatoes (optional)
Crushed Tortilla Chips (optional)

Directions:
Place the onions, beans, corn, tomato sauce, apple juice and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Place chicken breasts on top of soup mixture, just covering them with the liquid. Cook on low heat for 5 hours.

Remove chicken breasts from the soup and use a fork to shred the chicken. Return the chicken back to the soup and continue cooking for 2 hours.

I usually serve the soup with crushed up tortilla chips and then we each top our soup with what we would normally put on our tacos. I've also cooked this using ground beef instead of the chicken...just brown the beef and place it in the crockpot with all the other ingredients.

I love the ease and versatility of serving soups. Feel free to share any soup recipes your family enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment