Background

Monday, August 2, 2010

August Grocery Budget

Since it's the beginning of August, I wanted to encourage all of you to sit down and make a grocery budget for the month. Some of you may already do this, but I am sure that a lot of people have no set grocery budget at all. How can you know if you are truly saving money, if you have no set budget that you've started from?

For the last several months we've had a set grocery budget of $60.00 a week for my family of five...this includes all food, toiletries, paper products, medicines. I really feel like I've been able to build a good stockpile of basic items, so I am challenging myself to try to spend $40.00 a week for this month. I've still budgeted $60.00 just in case I can't make it, but each week I'm going to take out only $40.00 and see if I can make it last the whole week. This is kind of tricky because with the stockpile of food that I've been able to build up, I'm sure that I could go several weeks only buying perishable items...but then by the end of the month my pantry would be bare and I'd be back to buying items at full price. My goal is to cut my weekly grocery budget down, but still manage to stockpile basic foods in my pantry. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it, but thought that if I actually wrote that I'm going to be trying it that it will keep me more accountable. At the end of the week I'll let you know how I did for the first week of August.

I encourage you to set some goals for yourself. If you are just starting out, try to save $5.00 or $10.00 a week...might not seem like a lot, but it's a good place to start!!

Hope all of you are starting to see your spending go down and your savings go up!! Let me know how you guys are doing!! Would love some feedback from you.

2 comments:

  1. After our talk on San Angelo over the 4th, I decided to write it all down, and really sitck to a food budget. My problem in the past was I was able to lower my food bill, but I spent the rest on "neat buys". This time when I'm out, I'm out. I'll let you know how this week goes! Thanks for all the great advice.
    -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently set a goal of $75/wk. Before, I was spending over $100. I got really close with my averages last month. I feel good about it, especially since I have 2 in diapers. I bet I'll be there, soon. Maybe one day, I'll be at $40 a week. That'd be awesome!

    ReplyDelete